Sunday, May 30, 2010

Trippy Taco & Vegetarian Sausage Rolls

On Saturday my friend M and I went to Trippy Taco for dinner, followed by Robin Hood at the Drive In at Coburg. While the movie left me a little underwhelmed (I just wasn't engaged with the story line), the dinner was delicious. When it comes to Mexican, I adore the use of black beans, and rarely stray from it when its offered. After hearing so many good things about the Tofu Assada Burrito however, I decided to give the beans a miss and opt for the tofu. The burrito was really nice, but I think I will be going back to the bean burrito next time. My only real complaint was that the chunks of tofu made it quite difficult to eat, and I created a bit of a mess of my plate.

I've never taken photos of my meal when out before, but when I remembered I'm now a 'food blogger' (hehe) I decided to whip out my iPhone and take a somewhat grotty looking photo of the remains of my food. In the background are the Trippy Fries. Oh. My. God. These are some of the best fries I've ever had... so moreish that I had to take a serve away with me for a movie snack. Seriously, do yourself a favour and try them as an accompaniment to your meal sometime.




On Sunday I spent the day pottering in my kitchen preparing meals for the week. I made a Carrot Soup, some Dahl, and the vegetarian sausage rolls from Where's The Beef . When I first came across this recipe, I was a little baffled at the list of ingredients, and how these were supposed to transform into a somewhat realistic take on the sausage roll, something I used to love back in my meat eating days. When I made my first batch a few months ago, I was in awe of the outcome. The look and texture of the rolls are so similar to what I remember, and I even fed some to my boyfriend at the time who thought they were the real deal. My only problem with making these is that they are so delicious that I keep eating and eating. I side stepped that issue though by portioning them out into little bags and freezing them for future lunches. Served with a simple salad of mixed lettuce leaves, cucumber, capsicum and white balsamic vinegar (my new favourite salad dressing), this was a delicious weekend lunch!



4 comments:

Cindy said...

I ate the tofu burrito last time I visited TT and found it a bit much too. However, I've now been informed that you can order a tofu/black bean mix - I think I'll do that next time!

Christine said...

Ooh best of both worlds ;) Although, I had a tofu and black bean burrito at High Tech Burrito (in Hawthorn) and I think the double up of protein just became too heavy for me. I like to leave room for sides like corn chips and guac, or trippy fries ;)

Johanna GGG said...

I still have trippy taco on my wishlist but the vegetarian sausage rolls are a regular in our house - despite their moreishness - they are great for entertaining - esp for meatlovers!

Lula said...

Best fries EVER? Wow, for a chip-junkie like me, that's a HUGE call.... I gotsta try these!!! Mmmm....